AI Student Awards
The Steering Committee of the Africa Initiative funds small projects, events, and speakers organized by students. We envision supporting a number of proposals in the $500-$1000 range that follow these guidelines:
- Projects must take place on the Duke campus or in the Durham community.
- Projects should be collaborative in nature, perhaps organized by a common theme (water, technology transfer, China-Africa) or as a way to develop new relationships across majors.
- Projects may take the shape of—but are not limited to—a speaker, workshop, reading group, service learning event, or film showing. If the proposal focuses in these areas, at least a portion of these activities should be open to all members of the Duke community.
- Groups that propose projects can be solely undergrads, graduate students, or a combination of the two.
- All proposals must provide the contact information of at least one member who will act as the project lead.
Applications should be no longer than three pages and include the following:
- A description of the proposed activity.
- The anticipated participants and outcomes of the proposed activity.
- A budget.
- A description of potential participant groups.
Deadline: October 15, 2021. Please submit applications to Meredith Watkins (firstname.lastname@example.org).