The Duke India Initiative (DII) funds faculty projects and activities in support of its mission. The mission of the DII is to promote and intensify collaborations within Duke and among Duke and partners across India. The DII aims to foster multidisciplinary, multi-cultural research, educational and entrepreneurial activities related to India. In particular, projects that support the following DII objectives are encouraged:
- Building and fostering multidisciplinary collaboration across Duke’s campus on both research and educational activities related to India
- Integrating teaching and on-site research to address India-specific issues
- Increasing the visibility studies related to India across campus
- Stimulating dialogue and dissemination of research related to India
- Developing long term research and educational links with Indian partners
- Fostering entrepreneurship between Duke students and alumni, staff and faculty and Indian business partners
DII encourages applications from all Duke schools and colleges; abroad range of activities is considered. They include but are not limited to research, education, and entrepreneurship, seed funding to establish networks of collaborators, invited speaker series or workshops and conferences (open to all members of the Duke community). We envision that activities will generate synergies among faculty, researchers and students with interests in India at Duke. Funding is not limited to projects that take place on Duke's campus, however, for projects that have a significant effort in India, a demonstrated impact at Duke is recommended. Applications must be submitted by a Duke faculty member; all Duke faculty are eligible to apply. We anticipate making awards in the $2,000-20,000 range, with awards commensurate with the activities proposed.
The 2018-19 DII faculty funding application period is now closed.