Duke India Initiative: Call for Graduate Student Travel Grants
The Duke India Initiative (DII) is opening a call for applications to fund full-time Ph.D. and graduate student travel for scholarly activities related to India. Travel can be to present a paper at a conference, attend a workshop, conduct field research or other relevant activity. We envision supporting proposals in the $500-$2000 range subject to the following guidelines:
- Applicant must be full-time Ph.D. or Master's student at Duke.
- If travel is to attend a conference, student must have formal acceptance for a presentation at the event. If paper presentation or poster is pending acceptance, funding will be contingent upon formal acceptance of presentation.
- Travel must preferably occur between March 2023 and December 2023 (exceptions can be made).
- Travel does not have to be to India, but travel must be related to India and aligned with the mission of the DII (https://igs.duke.edu/units/duke-india-initiative).
- All Duke full-time Ph.D. and graduate students are eligible to apply; DII encourage applications from students from all Duke schools and colleges. Applications by Undergraduate students will not be considered.
Deadline: 5 pm on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Applications should include the following (items 1 through 2 should be a maximum of 2 pages, 11-point font, single line spacing and with 1” margin):
- Name, department/unit and contact information of applicant
- Description of the proposed travel activity
- Brief background and rationale for the travel
- If travel is for a conference or workshop, name of event and URL for the event
- Dates of travel
- Benefit to the individual
- Benefit to DII (how the activity contributes to advancing DII’s mission)
- Itemized budget with brief justification (0.5 page maximum). Airfare must be in economy class. Only direct costs are allowed.
- Overlapping activities (one half-page maximum): include a statement indicating whether or not this travel is already funded or pending funding (include source). If additional funding is necessary for the travel, indicate source of funding and amount.
- One-page CV for the applicant.
- Brief letter of support from the student’s adviser indicating how the travel will benefit the applicant.
Funding requests should be sent as one single pdf file to Rohini Thakkar (email@example.com) by no later than 5 pm on Tuesday, January 31, 2023. Use “DII Travel Funding Application” as the subject line. Receipt of proposals will be acknowledged within 48 hours.
Students will be required to give a brief presentation at a DII event in Fall 2023 and deliver a brief report on their activities after completion of travel.