GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN INTERDISCIPLINARY EUROPEAN STUDIES
The advances of interdisciplinary studies have made it essential to provide a formal structure through which students from various fields in the arts, sciences and professional schools can obtain some grounding in other academic disciplines. The Council for European Studies aims to be a pioneer in the interdisciplinary configuration of area studies to work towards an area-based, but not area-bound, perspective. In this context, the Council for European Studies offers a graduate certificate in Interdisciplinary European Studies. The graduate certificate is open to all advanced degree students who meet the necessary requirements.
Students obtaining the certificate may have an advantage in applying for jobs requiring broad teaching across disciplines, areas and time periods.
As of the 2016 - 2017 academic year, eighteen students are currently enrolled/have completed the certificate.
The following criteria must be met to receive the certificate:
- Five core courses with at least a 75% European Studies content taken in at least three different departments
- Two-year participation in the European Studies Society of Fellows (participation in this context means involvement in at least four Society of Fellows-sponsored activities per semester, which must be documented)
- Attain competency in one European language other than English, equivalent to at least four semesters of college study (advanced proficiency). The Executive Committee will approve certification of language competency.
- Attain competency in a second European language other than English, equivalent to at least two semesters of college level study (intermediate proficiency). The Executive Committee will approve certification of language competency.
- A significant focus on European Studies-related issues in dissertation work.
It will also be required that a faculty member with European expertise is appointed to the student’s dissertation committee from outside the student’s home department.
How to Apply
Please contact Ms. Deirdre White if you are interested in learning more about the Interdisciplinary European Studies certificate, or if you’re interested in enrolling.