The Global Asia Initiative launched in 2015 to support research on trans-Asia topics that are collaborative and interdisciplinary in nature.
The initiative explores the connections between Asian nations, cultures and ecosystems, particularly these nations' shared challenges related to politics, security, and environmental pollution and climate change.
By working closely with the Social Science Research Council’s Inter-Asia Program and drawing on the resources of Duke and the Triangle area, the Global Asia Initiative hopes to become an important hub for the study of these issues and the discussion of other trans-Asia themes.
Global Asia Initiative Advisory Committee
- Dr. Prasenjit Duara, Oscar Tang Professor of East Asian Studies, History Department, Duke University
- Dr. Erika Weinthal, Lee Hill Snowdon Professor of Environmental Policy, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University
- Dr. Ralph Litzinger, Associate Professor of Cultural Anthropology, Duke University
- Dr. Carlos Rojas, Professor of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Duke University
- Dr. Elizabeth Lossos, Senior Fellow, Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, Duke University
Global Asia Initiative Affiliates
Zhang Lianwei, Postdoctoral Scholar, Duke University
Takushi Odagiri, Associate Professor of Humanities and Social Science, Kettering University
At Duke University’s Global Asia Initiative, a hub for the SSRC’s Inter-Asia program in Environmental Humanities, we seek to develop Environmental Humanities in Asia as a way of raising consciousness and provoke new ways of thinking about the human-nature relationship in Asian societies and its impact and connections with the rest of the world. Details
Recent Publications and Presentations
Global Asia Initiative's director, research associate, affiliates and advisory committee members publish regularly and frequently contribute at conferences, seminars, workshops, keynote speeches etc. Explore the depth and breadth of Global Asia Initiative's publications and presentations
Join our listserv!
The Global Asia Initiative sends a monthly newsletter to keep you up to date on India-related events and funding opportunities at Duke.
Subscribe to the GAI mailing list.